The state of North Carolina released crime statistics for the 2017-2018 school year with the report revealing positive, along with discouraging, numbers.
Let's start with the good news.
Crime on campus is slightly down overall in the state.
Some areas of note:
- Bomb threats are down 25%
- Assault with a weapon is down 8%
- Robbery with a weapon is down a whopping 88%
Now the bad news.
Sexual offenses and possession of firearms has increased from the 2016-2017 school year to the 2017-2018 school year on campuses statewide.
- Sexual offenses increased by 23 cases, a 48.9 percent rise
- Firearm possession increased by 23 cases, a 21.9 percent rise
- Possession of an alcoholic beverage and sexual assault saw slight increases of 0.9 percent.