GREENSBORO, N.C. -- According to meeting minutes from the City of Greensboro's Minimum Housing Standards Commission, the apartment where a fire originated and killed five children in May 2018 was ordered to be demolished back in 2016.
The Greensboro Fire Department says the May 12 fire at 3100 Summit Ave. was caused by unattended cooking. The fire led to the death of five children who were pulled from the apartment. However, a surviving family member remained vehement that he had complained about the stove in the unit.
- Related: Unattended Cooking Led to Deadly Greensboro Apartment Fire: Investigators
- RELATED | Greensboro Apartment Fire: 5 Children Dead, Smoke Detectors Not Working, Other Facts